[Ksummit-discuss] [TOPIC] Guidance for subsystem maintainers

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.cz
Tue May 13 14:31:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, 13 May 2014, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> While posting to different subsystem areas, I noticed various ways of
> reviews, sometimes a patch gets merged silently after months later,
> etc.  Although the variety is one strength of OSS development, it made
> me also wonder whether we need some baseline guidance for subsystem
> maintenance in order to give a better appeal to casual developers.
>
> Is such a thing too much burden to maintainers?  Or, is it just a
> bikeshedding?

I am afraid that any attempt to force any working style on maintainers is
pre-destined to fail.

As an example, there are folks who love patchwork and others wouldn't dare
to touch it with a 10m pole.

Even such a "core" thing as git is explicitly claimed optional by Linus.

Is there perhaps anything more concrete you had on mind?

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs