[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] QR encoded oops for the kernel

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue May 13 16:07:43 UTC 2014

I'll note this discussion has started mutating to a more general "how
do we get more useful bug reports in front of developers", which I
think is a good thing.

However, I'm still not sure how useful it would be to have a tech
topic (or a core topic) dedicated to the matter, because we've had
discussions about and at the end of the day, what's probably really
necessary is to have someone, or a small team, dedicated all or most
of their time to:

a) improving kerneloops.org
b) finding interesting patterns in the bulk reported data, and then
forwarding that on to developers
c) finding ways of automating (b)

QR encoded oops might be a means towards that end, but there might be
other things that could be done as well.

If someone were to *do* all of this work, then reporting on it and
then asking for suggestions about how this service could be improved,
might make a great tech topic.

But in the absence of that, can folks suggest ways that this doesn't
turn into a "I know, let's put a bell on the cat!" sort of discussion
that doesn't lead to anything useful?

						- Ted