[Ksummit-discuss] [TOPIC] Metadata addendum to git commit

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue May 13 23:23:40 UTC 2014

On Tue, 13 May 2014 15:25:57 +0200 Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:

> I think this has been already raised a few times, but I'm still
> dreaming one thing in our git management: having some metadata
> collection / link for each commit.
>
> I don't mean for a thing like post-commit sign-off, but rather for
> tracking the information that has been revealed after commit, e.g. a
> regression the commit causes, the later fix commit, or a bugzilla or
> ML link for the further discussion or debugging session.  The
> regression markers would be especially helpful to avoid a pitfall
> through performing bisection.
>
> IMO, it would be convenient if such information can be embedded in the
> published git tree, something like (infamous) git-notes.  But, I'd
> like to hear any other options as well.

+1

A particular practical issue is that when doing a git-bisect there might be a
range of commits that only compile/run if some later commit is applied.
If I'm bisecting in that range, I have to repeatedly apply that commit by
hand.

If would really like it if a new commit could be marked as "a really
important successor to the first parent" so that git could keep the extra
metadata to easily find the parent->child link, and so that "git-bisect"
could be told --always-include-important-children

This linkage would be enough to add anything else as "important successors".

Yes, I know I should send a patch rather than a suggestion.  Sorry.

NeilBrown