[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] QR encoded oops for the kernel

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu May 15 19:24:22 UTC 2014

On 05/13/2014 09:07 AM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I'll note this discussion has started mutating to a more general "how
> do we get more useful bug reports in front of developers", which I
> think is a good thing.
>
> However, I'm still not sure how useful it would be to have a tech
> topic (or a core topic) dedicated to the matter, because we've had
> discussions about and at the end of the day, what's probably really
> necessary is to have someone, or a small team, dedicated all or most
> of their time to:
>
> a) improving kerneloops.org
> b) finding interesting patterns in the bulk reported data, and then
> forwarding that on to developers
> c) finding ways of automating (b)
>
> QR encoded oops might be a means towards that end, but there might be
> other things that could be done as well.
>
> If someone were to *do* all of this work, then reporting on it and
> then asking for suggestions about how this service could be improved,
> might make a great tech topic.
>
> But in the absence of that, can folks suggest ways that this doesn't
> turn into a "I know, let's put a bell on the cat!" sort of discussion
> that doesn't lead to anything useful?

A workflow discussion for gathering fault information in general *might*
be useful, but I'm not sure we have the right people for it.  As far as
I understand, kerneloops.org pretty much lost its usefulness when Fedora
(and other distros?) stopped participating and redirected to their own
internal sites.

	-hpa