[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] QR encoded oops for the kernel

Levente Kurusa levex at linux.com
Thu May 15 21:13:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 12:24:22PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 05/13/2014 09:07 AM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > I'll note this discussion has started mutating to a more general "how
> > do we get more useful bug reports in front of developers", which I
> > think is a good thing.
> >
> > However, I'm still not sure how useful it would be to have a tech
> > topic (or a core topic) dedicated to the matter, because we've had
> > discussions about and at the end of the day, what's probably really
> > necessary is to have someone, or a small team, dedicated all or most
> > of their time to:
> >
> > a) improving kerneloops.org
> > b) finding interesting patterns in the bulk reported data, and then
> > forwarding that on to developers
> > c) finding ways of automating (b)
> >
> > QR encoded oops might be a means towards that end, but there might be
> > other things that could be done as well.
> >
> > If someone were to *do* all of this work, then reporting on it and
> > then asking for suggestions about how this service could be improved,
> > might make a great tech topic.
> >
> > But in the absence of that, can folks suggest ways that this doesn't
> > turn into a "I know, let's put a bell on the cat!" sort of discussion
> > that doesn't lead to anything useful?
> >

> A workflow discussion for gathering fault information in general *might*
> be useful, but I'm not sure we have the right people for it.  As far as
> I understand, kerneloops.org pretty much lost its usefulness when Fedora
> (and other distros?) stopped participating and redirected to their own
> internal sites.

Looking at oops.kernel.org, one of the top guilties is Fedora. Also,
looking at the ABRT FAQ it still seems to send the OOPSes to the site.
So, I guess Fedora didn't stop sending them. But maybe, Josh knows
better?

I am not sure if the site has lost any of its usefulness. It still has
a DB of ~4K oopses in May already. What I think is the problem, is
that maintainers barely look at it. I think there are numerous reasons
behind that, and I see a lot of improvements could be made there.

Regarding the wrong people. While we could not be the best people to
discuss this with, we are the ones, at least I am, who are *willing*
to do some work on the core error reporting and gathering parts of the
kernel.

Thanks,
    Levente Kurusa