[Ksummit-discuss] [TOPIC] Metadata addendum to git commit

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Fri May 16 03:07:08 UTC 2014

Takashi,

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 03:25:57PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> I think this has been already raised a few times, but I'm still
> dreaming one thing in our git management: having some metadata
> collection / link for each commit.
>
> I don't mean for a thing like post-commit sign-off, but rather for
> tracking the information that has been revealed after commit, e.g. a
> regression the commit causes, the later fix commit,

For the stuff flying by me, I've been adding the:

Fixes: <12-char hash>: ('Offending patch subject')

On patches fixing a regression.  It helps the stable team (when Cc
stable is also added) and in your scenario, you could grep the commits
for the result of your bisect.

> or a bugzilla or

Sorry, I don't use it.

> ML link for the further discussion or debugging session.

We've also been autogenerating a tag:

Link: https://lkml.kernel.org/r/<Message-Id>

For all patches that points to the email the patch came from.  Not
exactly what you were looking for, but nothing prevents someone from
replying to that thread a year later with a regression report.

I've also been contemplating adding

Coverletter: https://lkml.kernel.org/r/<First Reference Msg-Id>

for large series where the patch submitter has done a thorough writeup
in the coverletter.

thx,

Jason.