[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] ARM legacy board DT conversion finalization

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Fri May 16 22:20:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 14:42 -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 07:31:51PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 00:10 -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > > Joking aside, I concede your point.  It looks like the last two mvebu
> > > legacy platforms (dove, mv78xx0) might get merged into mach-mvebu during
> > > the next cycle.  After that, we can reach out to the Debian and OpenWRT
> > > guys and see what legacy platforms are in use or rotting.  We can go
> > > from there.
> >
> > I just removed ixp4xx from Debian as the kernel image wouldn't fit in
> > the NSLU2's kernel partition any more (even after disabling quite a few
> > features that are enabled in most other configurations).  iop32x was
> > removed for the same reason, a while ago.
>
> Hmmm, I have two NSLU2's, they might make a good platform for the
> tinification/IoT work.  Small flash, small RAM, slow.

Yes, whereas Debian is a general purpose distribution where we don't
attempt to guess which applications will be used on which platforms.

> > Our 'legacy' (which I take to mean pre-v7) configurations are now
> > kirkwood, mv78xx0, orion5x (all about to converge to mvebu) and
> > versatile.
>
> I'm not familiar with versatile, the others I've seen a few times. ;-)

Versatile is one of ARM's own development boards, but more importantly
it's something QEMU can emulate.

> Does Debian see any user activity with mv78xx0?  I know your build
> system used to have boards with that SoC family, but are there any other
> users?

There is still one build server (ancina.debian.org) using that board,
but I don't know that there are any other users.  The kernel package was
only added to support those build servers.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If you seem to know what you are doing, you'll be given more to do.