[Ksummit-discuss] [TOPIC] Metadata addendum to git commit

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon May 19 13:29:55 UTC 2014

At Sun, 18 May 2014 21:23:15 +0200 (CEST),
Christian Couder wrote:

> From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de>
> >
> > At Thu, 15 May 2014 23:07:08 -0400,
> > Jason Cooper wrote:
> >>
> >> Takashi,

> >> For the stuff flying by me, I've been adding the:
> >>
> >> Fixes: <12-char hash>: ('Offending patch subject')
> >>
> >> On patches fixing a regression.  It helps the stable team (when Cc
> >> stable is also added) and in your scenario, you could grep the commits
> >> for the result of your bisect.
> >
> > Yeah, that was suggested in the last year's KS, and helps some cases.
> >
> > However, the problem is that people(*1) often notice this too late
> > after the tree has been already published.  Also, some information
> > (e.g. bug reports) can come only after commits.
>
> It is possible to use "git notes" or even "git replace" to add
> information to existing commits.

Yes, I know of git-notes, as already mentioned in the first post.  But
the problem is that publishing and importing git-notes changes isn't
well established for kernel git tree management.  And, IIRC, Linus
didn't like its usage somehow.  Not sure whether it's because of
git-notes technical design or its concept...

> > (*1) statistics taken from one person :)
> >
> > And, for bisection, we need some reverse mapping for efficiency.
> > It'd take time to look all commit logs from each revlist, especially
> > if the bisection is done for the early history.
> >
> > I tried a hackish way once ago: keeping simple text files named with
> > $SHAID in a separate branch, and refers to it at git log or bisect
> > time.  There must be much elegant way, I suppose, though.
>
> Yeah, using "git replace" is more elegant. And there will be hopefully
> soon the --edit option that will make it very easy to use git replace.

We don't want to change the history at all.  A preferred option is
just addendum on top of the existing commits, and the way to easily
share the change (at best with the normal git pull).  If git-replace
provides such a good integration, I'd love to see it in our use case.

thanks,

Takashi