[Ksummit-discuss] [TOPIC] Services needed from kernel.org

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue May 20 18:48:37 UTC 2014

I have been discussing with the Linux Foundation about if there are any
new IT services needed or desired for kernel developers (maybe or maybe
not under the kernel.org.)  The kernel.org cleanup and inevitable
changes meant we couldn't service some of the needs that we had in the
past, some of which has moved to privately owned equipment and some of
which has migrated to cloud services or discontinued.

However, the big question is: what IT services do kernel developers
need, and how can we best provide them?  One idea bandied about would be
to provide either managed or unmanaged VMs to kernel developers.  Would
that reduce the workload on the upper tier of kernel developers so that
we can focus more on our time on what actually provides value to our
users and employers, and which we hopefully find more interesting/fun?

	-hpa