[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] PM dependencies

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at rjwysocki.net
Fri May 23 23:26:02 UTC 2014

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:35:46 AM Kevin Hilman wrote:
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw at rjwysocki.net> writes:

> >> I'll continue to beat the runtime PM drum...
> >
> > What about async system suspend/resume, then?
>
> Not sure what you're asking here.  I don't see any (new) conflicts with
> async system suspend/resume when combined with runtime PM.

I don't mean conflicts, but how runtime PM can help in that area. :-)

[cut]

> > There are more weird cases still.  For example, we have the _DEP object in
> > ACPI that basically says "this device depends on that one" and there may be
> > no other relationship between the two whatsoever.  How are we supposed to
> > implement this within the existing frameworks?
>
> Sounds like something for the ACPI PM domain to sort out, and it really
> depends on what what "this device depends on that one" means.  Does it
> mean device Y has to be on whenever device X is on?  Does it mean device
> Y has to be on just for device X to suspend/resume?  Does it mean device
> Y has to be on for X to have certain functionality?
>
> If it's something like device Y has to be on whenever device X is on,
> the PM domain would just need to track the dependencies and ensure that
> it does a pm_runtime_get() on device Y whenever device X is enabled.

It is kind of hard to explain without going into details about how certain
things in AML work, but roughly an ACPI method for one device may use
resources provided by another device (for example, an ACPI method for
device X uses an I2C connection with controller Y).  In that case the
"resource provider" has to be functional whenever the "consumer" method is
executed.

Rafael