[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] [nomination] Move Fast and Oops Things

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sat May 24 19:19:17 UTC 2014

Hi James,

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> I also have specific methodologies where I keep head and tail branches
> of my trees, so for <x> development branch I have an <x>-base branch as
> well, so I can simply do a
>
> git checkout <x>
> git rebase --onto origin/master <x>-base
> git branch -f <x>-base origin/master

If your origin/master is only forwarding (i.e. never rebased), you can do
without the <x>-base branch, as it will always point somewhere into the
history of origin/master.
Git is smart enough so "git rebase origin/master <x>" will do the right thing.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds