[Ksummit-discuss] [TOPIC] Encouraging more reviewers

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Sun May 25 04:56:07 UTC 2014

On Sat, 24 May 2014 12:18:42 -0700 Guenter Roeck <linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:

> > The thing I'd like to see way more in the Linux ecosystem:
> >
> > Paid reviewers/maintainers (selected people, no hiring offers). The
> > number of developers increases faster than the number of quality
> > keepers. So, the latter should be given the chance to focus on it, if
> > they want to.
> >

> Problem with that is that in most company hierarchies code reviewers
> get little  if no credit for their work. If anything, I have seen
> the opposite - code reviewers, if they take their responsibility
> serious, end up getting blamed for project delays because they keep
> finding problems in the code.
>
> Imagine a project where one employee writes the code and another
> reviews it. Who do you think will get the credit (and bonus) ?
> I bet it will be the person who wrote the code, not the person
> who made sure that it is clean and free of bugs.

Sounds like a job for the Linux Foundation (easy for me to say ....).

Get funding and/or secondment from members and use it to appoint reviewers.
Their role and remuneration would be focussed (solely)
on review-for-upstream-acceptance.

I'm sure there are people who can do the work, and probably even some who
enjoy doing the work.  So I assume that they aren't given enough time to do
that work.  And time == money.

NeilBrown