[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] QR encoded oops for the kernel

Teodora Băluţă teobaluta at gmail.com
Sun May 25 19:49:19 UTC 2014

Hi,

>> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 06:36:50PM +0200, Levente Kurusa wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course we did identify the team. It's me and Teodora. For this QR
>>> encoding work we need a lot of framework work and while at it we could
>>> also tie up some loose ends in the error reporting workflow. I, for
>>> myself, would love to clean up Bugzilla a bit. It has a lot of open bugs
>>> that have been fixed for ages, just for example.
>>
>> Just to be clear, since my understanding is that you are university
>> students --- your primary goal is to clean up the QR encoding work,
>> yes?  Do you anticipate having time to talk about working on some of
>> the larger, grander suggestions that some people have raised on this
>> thread?  That is, some kind of web backend to for which these QR's
>> could be submitted and then analyzed?
>
> At first, yes, my primary goal is to clean up the library that we currently
> use. We still need to remove a lot of unused crap from the library and
> make it behave nicer as in resource usage as well... Regarding the
> web-backend. I think Teodora has already started working on something
> like that,  but she might be working on the Android app she proposed earlier.

As a final project for one of my courses we had to implement an
Android app of and since it was open-source and free of choice I chose
to work on something related to the QR/reporting bugs (killing two
birds with one stone). It was a two-person team project (added friend
I worked with at cc)

It is a prototype that includes a simple Android app and a web server.
Basically scan the QR and then send it to the web server or email it.
You may checkout the code at
https://github.com/PDSD-2014/baluta-foianu. I will migrate the project
to my repository soon (now it's it our course's repo).

> Yes I realize that encoding the oops as a QR code is just a part of what
> we really need in order to bring it to its fullest. And I for sure can say I'll
> have time to work on the suggestions. I talked with Teodora about this and
> she is having her finals, but after that I guess she will join me on this
> journey.

Yes, finals are fun!... part of the reason I didn't reply for so
long... I have my last exam next Tuesday. I will be working on my
graduation project up to the end of June so I can't work full-time on
this, but I can surely make time and would love to get this up and
running.

>> Or is what you plan to be focusing on is more tightly focused on the
>> the actual generation of the QR barcode?  What help would you need in
>> order to bring the use of the QR barcode to its fullest potential?
>
> No not just the generation. I as a user don't at all find reporting kernel bugs
> a pleasure. My goal (and I think Teodora's as well) is to make it better. In the
> process we would need to clean up stuff that has gotten rusty over the years.
>
> What we ask for is a discussion, so that we know what work is needed to
> be done and what suggestions people have for us.

I agree. It is always important to know what you want to improve from
different people/perspectives, prioritize and then implement them.
When discussing via email implementation details may become
predominant but actually a discussion on what is our main focus and
compromising is better done in person imho.

Thanks,
Teodora