[Ksummit-discuss] [TOPIC] Encouraging more reviewers

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue May 27 18:21:22 UTC 2014

On 05/24/2014 10:31 AM, James Bottomley wrote:

>> You are assuming that organising reviews of patches is the
>> responsibility of the maintainer.
>
> Actually, I don't believe I said that anywhere ... however, I do see, at
> least in my subsystem, that the Maintainer is the reviewer of last
> resort, so my selfish reason for wanting more reviewers is to offload
> that from me.

And far too frequently that is the only reviewer available.

Being a kernel maintainer is a very challenging task, combining a lot of
disciplines -- you have to review, architect, manage, educate/mentor,
and depending on your exact employment you may have to manage a "real"
career depending on just how much the maintainer job overlaps your
"real" job.

	-hpa