[Ksummit-discuss] Reforming Acked-by (was Re: [TOPIC] Encouraging more reviewers)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri May 30 05:04:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 01:12:06AM +0000, Paul Walmsley wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2014, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 02:03:16PM -0700, Olof Johansson wrote:
> > > What are we really trying to fix here? Is the current process really
> > > broken or are we trying to create more process that's not needed for
> > > some other reason?
> >
> > I think the latter.
> >
> > Somehow, we seem to be constantly increasing our rate of change, are
> > people thinking we are having problems here?  If so, exactly where?
>
> If "increasing our rate of change" was the only metric that we cared
> about, we wouldn't be discussing how to attract more reviewers.

I'm not saying it's the only metric, but just pointing out that while we
constantly ask for more reviewers, it doesn't seem to be slowing us
down.

> But, on the other hand, if "increasing our rate of change" is the primary
> metric that's important to some folks, it might explain why we keep
> asking ourselves how to increase the review bandwidth every year, with
> little apparent positive result.

I have more review help now.  Some of it happened organically, and some
I specifically asked for.  If you need help, ask other developers in the
area to help out.  The worse they can do is say no and you are back to
where you were before, no harm done.

greg k-h