[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] kernel testing standard

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Fri May 30 22:53:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 02:35:30PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> I agree with this. Just having a single place to put tests or tell
> people where the tests are would be a huge improvement. If I wanted to
> run my own tests on ext file systems, I should be able to set up the
> same environment that Ted uses.

And you can!

	https://git.kernel.org/cgit/fs/ext2/xfstests-bld.git/tree/README

My test environment has been designed so it's fully reproducible, and
I've been pushing ext4 developers to use it before submitting me
patches.  And if they don't, and I detect a problem which bisects back
to one of their patches, I let them know gently that if they had used
kvm-xfstests, they would have detected earlier.

Maybe just adding a field in the MAINTAINERS file which contains a
pointer to the tests is the simplest solution?

> If someone wants to run my ftrace tests, then they should be able to
> as well (which I need to make available to the general
> public). Better yet, this can open up a door for people to
> contribute to new tests for a particular subsystem. I would love it
> if people added tests for me to run on ftrace. I have a bunch of
> hacks to test various functionality (as they are hacky, that's the
> reason I haven't posted them yet).

Yeah, it took a while before I had done enough cleanup that I was
willing to make thme fully public.  Now that I have, it's saved me a
lot of time, most definitely.

					- Ted