[Ksummit-discuss] [TrouSerS-tech] TPM MiniSummit @ LinuxCon Europe

Stefan Berger stefanb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Oct 7 17:54:41 UTC 2014

On 09/23/2014 12:42 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2014 2:07 AM, "Peter Huewe" <PeterHuewe at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to 'invite' all interested parties in a short TPM minisummit where we can discuss the following hot topics of the TPM subsystem over a beer or two:
>>   - State of the TPM Subsystem
>>   - De-/Initialization Mess
>>   - Devm'ification
>>   - Testing
>>   - TPM 2.0 Support
>>   - Dependencies / interaction with other subsystems (e.g. keyring / IMA)
>>   - Status of old 1.1b TPM drivers, deprecation plans
>>   - ...
>>
> I am unlikely to be there, but I have a feature request / food for thought:
>
> Using a mandatory userspace daemon (e.g. trousers) for TPM access
> sucks.  Might it be possible to teach the kernel to handle context
> save and restore and let multiple processes open the device at once?
> Then a daemon wouldn't be necessary.

Why add the complexity of swapping of authenticated sessions and keys
into the kernel if you can handle this in userspace? You need a library
that is aware of the number of key slots and slots for sessions in the
TPM and swaps them in at out when applications need them. Trousers is
such a library that was designed to cope with the limitations of the
device and make its functionality available to all applications that
want to access it.

    Stefan