[Ksummit-discuss] Self nomination

Dave Jones davej at codemonkey.org.uk
Sat Aug 1 20:30:53 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 11:26:17AM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
 > On 08/01/2015 09:45 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
 > > On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 01:49:08PM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
 > >>  - Encouraging folks who add new sysctls (or features to existing sysctls) to contribute
 > >> testing code to the various testing projects around (trinity and such).
 > >
 > > Which other fuzzers are people using besides trinity?
 >
 > I'm not sure, I think trinity sort of took over :)
 >
 > My point was that people should be submitting a more significant amount
 > of test code along with their new ABI - none of the recent syscalls added
 > has any mention in LTP for example.
 >
 > > Also why don't we merge trinity under tools/testing/?  I bet people
 > > would keep it in sync better if we did that.
 >
 > No objections on my end. I believe that Dave previously objected because
 > it's hard to make it work on sync with the kernel's release cycle.

A big factor is the same reason I'm not a huge fan of tools/testing/ in general.
People want to do things like "run latest testing tools on old LTS/enterprise kernels".

Having to suck a subtree out of the latest kernel tarball, and then spend
time trying to make it even compile/run against headers from an old kernel
is something I've already lost way too many weeks of my life to, so I'm
not really a fan of making that problem even worse by adding other tools to it.

	Dave