[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

NeilBrown neilb at suse.com
Sat Aug 1 22:16:00 UTC 2015

On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 20:42:29 +0200 Geert Uytterhoeven
<geert at linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 8:19 PM, James Bottomley
> <James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2015-08-01 at 20:16 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>
> >> Adding inline review comments is something different.
> >
> > Every mail tool I know can quote from attachments.  One of the side
> > benefits is that reply-all doesn't, so you actually have to quote the
> > section you're commenting on instead of, say, doing reply-all to a 1,000
> > line patch with a single comment on line 745, which is a real pain for a
> > maintainer ...
>
> So I have to manually _add_ all sections I want to comment on (and add "> "
> markers), instead of _deleting_ all sections I don't want to comment on?
>
> Looks suitable for patches which require a single comment only...
> (Which is usually not the case for patches sent as attachments ;-)

Claws-mail doesn't make it easy to reply to attachments - you have to
use the clumsy "copy/paste/add '>'" that you describe.
However asserting that other people should follow a particular work
flow because my tools aren't very good does not sound like a convincing
argument to me.
If my tools don't work with a workflow that is prima-facie reasonable,
then it is my tools that are at fault and I should fix them, not ask
someone else to change their workflow.

NeilBrown