[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Mon Aug 3 16:01:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 08:53:30AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 16:49 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > mutt is a bit fun here - it only works if the attachment has a text MIME
> > type which a lot of the systems that force people to attach patches seem
> > to struggle with.

> You mean the windows habit of attaching them as octet-stream types?  I

Something, I guess it's people on Windows systems but I've never really
investigated.

> set my binary handler to be emacs (you could make it your editor of
> choice) so I can pop it up on the attachment and cut and paste quote
> from the editor.  I have to report that this does have some unwanted sid
> effects in mozilla: some pdf attachments come as octet-stream as well
> and the binary handler overrides the file type handler ...

That actually isn't needed with mutt - it will *display* binary
attachements it doesn't otherwise understand as text as a last resort
which does the right thing here.  What breaks is that if you reply to a
mail with text attacments it'll quote them into the reply but for
obvious reasons it doesn't do that for binary attachments.