[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Core Kernel support for Compute-Offload Devices

Andy Lutomirski luto at amacapital.net
Mon Aug 3 19:07:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Jerome Glisse <j.glisse at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 07:51:02PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
>> On Fri, 2015-07-31 at 12:34 -0400, Jerome Glisse wrote:
>> > No the ASID should not be associated with mm_struct. There is to
>> > few ASID to have enough of them. I think currently there is only
>> > 8bits worth of ASID. So what happen is that the GPU device driver
>> > schedule process and recycle ASID as it does.
>>
>> In PCIe we have 20 bits of PASID. And we are going to expect hardware
>> to implement them all, even if it can only do caching for fewer PASIDs
>> than that.
>>

> This is not the case with current AMD hw which IIRC only support 8bits or
> 9bits for PASID. Dunno if there next hardware will have more bits or not.
> So i need to check PCIE spec but i do not think the 20bits is a mandatory
> limit.
>
>> There is also an expectation that a given MM will have the *same* PASID
>> across all devices.
>
> I understand that this would be prefered. But in case of hw that have only
> limited number of bit for PASID you surely do not want to starve it ie it
> would be better to have the device recycle PASID to maximize its usage.

FWIW, x86 PCID has 12 bits, and, if I ever try to implement support
for it, my thought would be to only use 3 or 4 of those bits and
aggressively recycle PCIDs.

I have no idea whether ASIC and PCID are supposed to be related at
all, given that I don't know anything about how to program these
unified memory contraptions.

--Andy