[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Documentation

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Tue Aug 4 12:50:33 UTC 2015

Hi Jon,

On Monday 03 August 2015 08:33:11 Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 15:35:36 +0200 Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > > While I don't discourage it, I am not a fan of automated documentation.
> > > As you and mtk would know, writing high quality, informative, systems
> > > software documentation is an involved process. And it should be, imo.
> > > Same goes for describing APIs and algorithms in code comments. Sure,
> > > automation has its pros, particularly keeping docs up to date; yet this
> > > does not outweigh a well crafted document, which involves actual though.
> >
> > "thought" I guess?
> >
> > I have to say I agree here.
>
> Surely nobody thinks I was saying that the documentation-writing process
> can be automated! :)  But we go to some lengths now to document our APIs
> in the code; I don't think we would want to break that.
>
> > Not to mention the fact that if you are browsing the kernel tree via a web
> > frontend or LXR, for example, plain text docs are really good to have.
>
> The nice thing about formats like Markdown or ReST is that they *are*
> plain text for all practical purposes.  Much better than DocBook in that
> regard.

My problem with inline documentation is that it makes easier for developers to
write crappy doc and believe they've done their duty. It's not a technical
issue, and I believe inline documentation has merits, especially for API
documentation, but I've seen too many kerneldoc comments written as

/**
 * int do_foo_bar(int foo, bool bar) - Do foo bar
 * @foo: the foo for bar
 * @bar: the value of bar
 *
 * This function does foo bar.
 *
 * Return 0 on success and a negative value on error.
 */

That's just useless. Worse, it can give the impression to reviewers that the
function has been documented while it clearly hasn't. Maybe we just need to
tighten the review process and push harder for documentation, at the risk of
rejecting useful contributions. That's not a new problem though.

DocBook and kerneldoc documentation serve two very different purpose in my
opinion. While kerneldoc mostly aims at documenting internal APIs, DocBook is
more of a story telling kind of documentation, suitable for documenting
subsystem architectures for instance. This could be moved to inline comments,
but at the end of the day I don't think it will make a big difference. The
reason why we miss quality "background" documentation today has in my opinion
more to do with the fact that we don't require it.

A good (or bad example, depending on how you see it) of this is the DRM/KMS
documentation available from Documentation/DocBook/drm.tmpl. I spent a
considerable amount of time writing it, it got reviewed, merged in the kernel,
and has now been rendered completely useless as the DRM/KMS internal API has
evolved and the documentation hasn't been updated despite my repeated
requests. That was extremely demotivating, and made me give up documenting
DRM/KMS at all.

If we don't start treating documentation as equally valuable as code we will
never fix the problem. I'd even argue that documentation should be treated as
having more value than code.

One more point, DocBook does a good job at documenting userspace APIs,
especially ioctls. See http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/vidioc-g-fmt.html for instance. Can Markdown or ReST achieve that ?

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart