[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Documentation

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Tue Aug 4 17:24:11 UTC 2015

On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 15:50:33 +0300
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> Maybe we just need to
> tighten the review process and push harder for documentation, at the risk of
> rejecting useful contributions. That's not a new problem though.

It's so not-new that this idea has come up at a few kernel summits in the
past.  But better documentation is not something we can wish into
existence; it's like saying we'll tighten the process to require more
code review.

That's why "how do we get more documentation?" wasn't really the question
I posed at the beginning.  We get it the way we get more code: get
companies to pay people to write it.  I don't think we can really make
that happen at the kernel summit.

We *can* maybe think about how we want our tools to look to make the
process of writing and maintaining documentation easier, though.  Tools
won't solve the problem either, but maybe we can at least reduce the
impedance somewhat.

jon