[Ksummit-discuss] [BELATED CORE TOPIC] context tracking / nohz / RCU state

Frederic Weisbecker fweisbec at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:07:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 09:29:03AM +0800, Lai Jiangshan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:03 AM, Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> >> That's what we do with context tracking. It tracks the context (user/kernel)
> >> and stores these informations. And indeed the contextual informations can vary
> >> depending for example if an exception triggered in userspace or kernelspace.
> >
> > Another question of interest is "Can things be arranged so that RCU uses
> > the context-tracking information directly in place of rcu_dynticks?"
> > In theory, the answer is clearly "yes", but the reason that RCU's
> > accounting is heavyweight is the need to get precise state readout on
> > other CPUs.  So it is quite possible that making RCU directly use the
> > context-tracking information will make that tracking slower and more
> > complex, so that the overall effect will be zero net improvement.
>
> rcu_dynticks can be directly renamed and moved to context-tracking code.
> ^_^.
>
> If there any other code need to access the context-tracking information,
> rearranging the code will be better.
>
> I once tried to use pure context-tracking information to
> implement rcu_sys_is_idle(), the rearranging is needed,
> and it is to complicated to continue. Current rcu_sys_is_idle()
> is complicated though.

It's very complicated but that lockless state machine is fascinating :-)

Too bad that for now we aren't using it. In fact nobody complained about
the unoptimized power consumption by nohz full. There are so many things
that people are interested in first and allowing housekeping's dynticks idle
involve very complicated changes.

Thanks.