[Ksummit-discuss] Leap second handling

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Tue Dec 15 12:12:03 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 15 December 2015 11:33:58 David Howells wrote:
> I know it's a bit late for the KS, but should we alter the interpretation of
> the time-as-seconds-since-1970 in the kernel to include leap seconds?
>
> The reason I ask is that we have to deal with X.509 certificates in the kernel,
> and the certificate can have dates encoded using GeneralizedTime ASN.1 objects.
> These are formatted as per ISO 8601.  ISO 8601 encodes leap seconds as hh:mm:60
> - so it's possible that I can see this in cert I have to deal with, and as such
> I must permit it.  I turn the date and time components into a time64_t with
> mktime64() - but that doesn't know about leap seconds, however.

Adding John Stultz to Cc explicitly, he probably knows best about those things.

> So the question is how to deal with it.  I can see three obvious ways:
>
>  (1) Treat it the same as hh:mm:59.
>
>  (2) Treat it the same as hh:mm+1:00, rolling over the carry through to the
>      year if necessary.
>
>  (3) Assign specific time_t values to leap seconds in mktime64().  There's a
>      table of them here:
>
> 	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second
>
>      It wouldn't be hard to do within just the kernel, but this would put the
>      kernel at odds with userspace to the tune of nearly half a minute at the
>      current time.  It might be sufficient to just fix the libc's in userspace
>      - but you can bet there's someone somewhere who checks that seconds
>      doesn't exceed 59.
>
>      The kernel would also need to tell libc whether or not the time value it
>      gets includes leap seconds.
>
> Any thoughts?

The kernel supports CLOCK_TAI as a timebase. While I think some operating systems
use this as the default clock, we don't do that, and I assume we don't want
to change this.

ktime_get_clocktai() will return the time in this format, and the timekeeper
stores the offset between boottime and TAI internally, and updates it whenever
a leap second happens, so if you set a timer in CLOCK_TAI, it will expire at
the right moment.

What I think we don't do at all in the kernel is to keep track of past (or
even future) leap seconds, so if you need to encode a date in the past,
the kernel has no idea what the difference between UTC and TAI was at the
time, and if you encode a time in the future, you don't know if we will
insert a leap second before you get to that time. I think these are the
harder questions to solve first if you want to handle the X.509 certificates
right, before we get to the question of what happens for dates *on* the
leap second.

	Arnd