[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Tue Jul 7 23:49:47 UTC 2015

Hi Peter,

On Wednesday 08 July 2015 01:21:40 Peter Huewe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to continue our traditions I would like to propose again the topic
> of recruitment, but this time not only limiting to the hobbyists market.
>
> We are definitely short on reviewers and thus have mostly overloaded
> maintainers.

I was about to propose a related core topic.

The reviewing and maintainership process seems to have a hard time scaling to
the amount of contributions we receive, to the point where even well known and
respected kernel developers get discourages.

Quoting http://www.spinics.net/lists/cpufreq/msg10609.html,

--------------------------------
> I'm trying to convince management that one of the advantages
> of mainlining the port is that it is easier to switch to newer
> kernels. Do you agree with this assertion?

Yes and no.  If you can get stuff upstream, it should make things
easier.

The difficult bit - and time consuming bit - is getting code upstream.
Even in my position, I'd suggest allowing about five years for that
activity, and even then don't have expectations of getting everything
upstream.

Frankly now, my advice to people would be to just not bother, it's
*way* too much effort to get everything to an acceptable state,
especially if the SoC has no support what so ever.
--------------------------------

That's a very serious red warning in my opinion.

Throwing more maintainers, co-maintainers or sub-maintainers at the kernel
won't magically solve this, as the more core developers a subsystem has the
more difficult it will be for them to synchronize. I would like share
experience about good practice rules that have proved to be effective.

> For testers it's usually even worse - how many patches are actually tested?
> Judging from what I read on LKML not that many.
>
> So we should definitely discuss:
> - how can we encourage hobbyists to become regular contributors
> -- how to keep people interested, the drop-out rates are huge.

We can't keep people interested if even maintainers get discouraged. Solving
(or at least relieving) that problem won't be enough to keep people
interested, but it's a prerequisite in my opinion.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart