[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] services needed from kernel.org infrastructure

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.com
Wed Jul 8 08:02:36 UTC 2015

On Tue, 7 Jul 2015, Greg KH wrote:

> > > Those are useful, I know Greg has one and I just wrote one too.  I'm not
> > > sure it needs to be on the server side though, they can also be done
> > > from the client which lets you try to fine tune things more readily.
> >
> > If either of you could share the scripts that would be great.
>
> Mine is based on Andrew's scripts, and can be found buried in my
> "gregkh-linux" repo which is a shadow of my 'linux/' subdir on my
> development machines, specifically this file:
> 	https://github.com/gregkh/gregkh-linux/blob/master/work/do.sh

Well, I think you've nicely demonstrated the reason why I think there
should be a central machinery; perhaps as a stanard open-source project,
i.e reviewed, contributed to, and shared by everybody.

The "everybody has his home-brew hacked-up script" model is just
unnecessary duplication of work a brings potential for unnecessary bugs.

For example, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if I send
you a patch that would have authorship

	Jiri Kosina <jkosina`rm -rf .`@suse.com>

and you wouldn't notice prior to applying it using the above do.sh, I
think your precious tree is gone.

This would be caught immediately if it's properly maintained "project".

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs