[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] services needed from kernel.org infrastructure

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.com
Wed Jul 8 14:40:39 UTC 2015

On Wed, 8 Jul 2015, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> 1) It will require a lot of configuration --- just because a commit
> shows up on a branch does not mean it is guaranteed that it will hit
> mainline.
>
> In fact, a maintainer might push a commit onto a throwaway branch on
> kernel.org just so that the zero-day testing systems can give the commit
> a spin.  So that means it's not just enough to throw a bunch of git hook
> scripts on master.kernel.org, because maintainers will need to have to
> configure, if not customize, them.
>
> This leads to my second concern which is:

Yeah, some kind of pattern matching would be very useful (like "send mails
only for commits that newly appar in 'for-next' branch", or some such).

> 2) Having shell scripts run on master.kernel.org can be a significant
> security concern; this is *especially* true if customization or
> configuration is required.

I don't think there is any principal reason this needs to run on master.
It can be on any kind of scratch one-purpose system that would just be a
slave git mirror.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs