[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] services needed from kernel.org infrastructure

Jiri Kosina jkosina at suse.com
Wed Jul 8 15:08:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, 8 Jul 2015, Greg KH wrote:

> > For example, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that if I send
> > you a patch that would have authorship
> >
> > 	Jiri Kosina <jkosina`rm -rf .`@suse.com>
> >
> > and you wouldn't notice prior to applying it using the above do.sh, I
> > think your precious tree is gone.
>
> Note, I don't have "precious" trees, nor "precious" development systems,
> that's what git is for :)

Oh, sure, that was just an example because I was too lazy to construct a
command that would send me your ssh keys :)

> > This would be caught immediately if it's properly maintained "project".
>
> Hm, ok, but different maintainers have different needs.  James's git
> hooks are also really nice, and work for some workflows (note, I use
> them for some stable workflows).  Wolfram has published his scripts that
> he uses for applying and testing patches in the past as well, and while
> they were great for him, they didn't fit mine at the time.

Yes, my main point really was that I personally would find it super-nice
to just mark particular branches in my kernel.org repositories as "send
notifications for these", and author (and anyone else in "-by:" lines)
would automatically receive nice notification once commit appears there.
Without any need of wrapping simple git-am + git push with more and more
bloated scripting.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina