[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Wed Jul 8 18:53:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 09:00:32 +0100
jic23 at jic23.retrosnub.co.uk wrote:

> > We can alter that somewhat.  We used to run a Maintainers lottery for
> > the kernel summit ... we could instead offer places based on the number
> > of Reviewed-by: tags ... we have all the machinery to calculate that.  I
> > know an invitation to the kernel summit isn't a huge incentive, but it's
> > a useful one.
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me, though it would only effect a tiny
> percentage of our reviewers.  I suppose publishing a short list of the top
> n% of reviewers from which the lottery runs might give some
> recognition.

I personally don't trust a Reviewed-by tag much, as I sometimes see
them appear without any comments.

I was thinking of writing a perl script that would read my LKML archive
and somewhat intelligently looking at people who replied to patches,
that also has snippets of the patch in the reply, and counting them. I
think that would be a more accurate use of real reviewers than just the
Reviewed-by tag.

-- Steve