[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at rjwysocki.net
Wed Jul 8 21:31:52 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, July 08, 2015 04:07:15 PM Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 22:56:38 +0300
> Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:
>
> > Reviewed-by or Acked-by metrics are unfortunately very easy to game. If we
>
> I'm not worried about Acked-by, as that (to me anyway) is just a
> maintainer telling other maintainers that they are fine with the
> change, and they are OK with it going in via another tree.
>
> I also sometimes give an Acked-by, as a "I took a quick look, and it
> looks good to me". I only add a Reviewed-by tag if I took enough effort
> to understand every part of the patch as if I wrote it myself.

I do that too and that's my understanding of what the tag is for.

However, some people treat it as a this-patch-looks-good-to-me tag.

But regardless of what tags you use, if you say something along the lines of:

- I like A (because of X).
- I don't like B (because of Y).
- C will break things because of Z.

in your review, every maintainer will be grateful for that.  I'd like people
doing that kind of stuff to be recognized in some special way, because that's
really really helpful (and we need it).

Honestly, I'm not sure how to make that happen.

Thanks,
Rafael