[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Darren Hart dvhart at infradead.org
Thu Jul 9 19:39:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 02:53:15PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 09:00:32 +0100
> jic23 at jic23.retrosnub.co.uk wrote:
>

> > > We can alter that somewhat.  We used to run a Maintainers lottery for
> > > the kernel summit ... we could instead offer places based on the number
> > > of Reviewed-by: tags ... we have all the machinery to calculate that.  I
> > > know an invitation to the kernel summit isn't a huge incentive, but it's
> > > a useful one.
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea to me, though it would only effect a tiny
> > percentage of our reviewers.  I suppose publishing a short list of the top
> > n% of reviewers from which the lottery runs might give some
> > recognition.
> >

> I personally don't trust a Reviewed-by tag much, as I sometimes see
> them appear without any comments.
>
> I was thinking of writing a perl script that would read my LKML archive
> and somewhat intelligently looking at people who replied to patches,
> that also has snippets of the patch in the reply, and counting them. I
> think that would be a more accurate use of real reviewers than just the
> Reviewed-by tag.

Agreed. Unless there is commentary accompanying the review, it doesn't add a
lot. While the nod of approval builds incremental confidence, the true measure
of a review is a resulting change to the patch for the better. Of course, a good
review takes the same amount of time regardless of if a change is required.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center