[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Darren Hart dvhart at infradead.org
Fri Jul 10 02:00:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 02:55:32AM +0200, Rafael Wysocki wrote:
> On Thursday, July 09, 2015 04:38:54 PM Darren Hart wrote:

> So the automation is only useful here as long as it helps patch submitters to
> get their work to the point at which it can be understood by a reviewer in
> a relatively short time.  Otherwise, it is just not helpful in that respect.

And that's the gist of what I'm getting at. Automation could help get things to
a reviewable state so maintainers/reviewers spend less time on what Josh called
"mechanical" errors, on things the submitter should have caught themselves, etc.

> For example, if someone sends me a patch that doesn't apply, but that I can
> easily understand and I think "Yeah, that's a good idea!", I may fix it up
> and make it build and so on just fine.  But without understanding, I pretty
> much can't do anything with it even if it got all of the details perfect.

Yes, of course.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center