[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Darren Hart dvhart at infradead.org
Fri Jul 10 02:07:06 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 01:35:59AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2015 at 11:31:49PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-07-09 at 12:37 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
>
> > > I spend a highly disproportionate amount of my time, relative to measurable
> > > quality impact to the kernel, going over the nuances of submitting patches.
>
> > > 1) Must have a complete commit message
> > > 2) DCO goes above the ---
> > > 3) Include a patch changelog, do so below ---
> > > 4) Cc maintainers :-)
> > > 5) Checkpatch... checkpatch... checkpatch...
> > > 6) Compiler warnings
> > > 7) CodingStyle :-)
> > > 8) Use ascii or utf8 character encodings
>
> As far as I can tell for most of the bits of this that are tooling and
> create practical problems git send-email will avoid most of the issue
> and people do seem to have mostly adopted that, but perhaps that's a
> result of me seeing a different submitter base to you.  I very rarely

I was going to make the same comment - we all deal with a different group. I
admittedly see a number of first time contributors looking to improve their
particular laptop, rather than veteran sub-system developers (I also get people
picking up major platform drivers and doing a great job).

> see anything that's serious enough to cause a practical problem except
> for CC issues that doesn't also come along with other substantial code
> quality problems.
>
> Patch changelogs are the biggest thing I can see there that feels like a
> tooling problem to me since git send-email doesn't do anything at all,
> though it's not an issue I'm personally that concerned about (I do
> appreciate having them but I can often barely remember what issues I
> raised in the first place).

As far as recruitment goes, I think we're talking about barriers to first-timers
and such - and git-send-email is one of those things. Eventually, a developer
spends enough time to make setting that all up worthwhile, but honestly, there
are A LOT of ways to embarass yourself with git-send-email. So much so that I've
written wrappers to it to protect people from it for the yocto project - and
even myself for my kernel work.

Is that a good assumption? Are we talking about first-timers - or are we talking
about getting current participants to do more review?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center