[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Testing

Shuah Khan shuahkh at osg.samsung.com
Fri Jul 10 15:54:17 UTC 2015

On 07/10/2015 09:05 AM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:02:14 -0600
> Shuah Khan <shuahkh at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>

>>> I think primary use case is this:
>>> * user builds and reboots into kernel with his custom config,
>>> * user runs "make test" from fresh build directory,
>>> * test harness runs everything runnable and maybe reports necessary
>>>   config options to run more
>>>
>>> /proc/kconfig.gz should be kept strictly for runtime config.
>>>

>> We do have ktest for that. Maybe ktest could include kselftest
>> run in its default boot test.
>
> I could have an option to have ktest run the kselftests, but the user
> would still need to be able to update configs to tell ktest where the
> tests are. Ktest doesn't assume to be run from the repo (I never do
> that).

Right. Thanks for clarifying it. We have a small number of tests that
depend on a specific kernel config option. Those tests are supposed to
exit gracefully and let the rest of the tests run when the config option
they depend on, isn't enabled. User needs to make a conscious choice on
which tests they want to run. In other words, it is users responsibility
to ensure that the kernel is built correctly to run a desired test. Just
like ktest, the responsibility to pick the right config falls outside
the kselftest framework. Kselftest run will test the parts of the kernel
it can test based on the current configuration.

thanks,
-- Shuah

--
Shuah Khan