[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jul 10 20:40:38 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-07-10 at 16:31 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > And then I can *read* them before sending them, which is good practice
> > anyway. Am I the only person who often finds a final minor nit with
> > their own patch, in that final read-through just before hitting 'send'
> > on an email?
>
> This is exactly what I do before sending. But I just do:
>
>  vim patches/*.patch

That works too. Perhaps that would be the easier option for people who
aren't sure of their normal mailer.

It's mostly the *client* that screws formatting up, rather than the
transport. So maybe the best thing to advise new people to do is put
the messages into files, vet them as you describe above (except using
emacs instead of vim, of course), and then provide a simple tool which
will *send* the messages from those files, via whatever transport the
user needs.

I think we can cope with the SMTP case already but I'm not sure if we
can do it from pre-vetted files, or only directly from git-send-email?
It's not hard to add support for also sending via ActiveSync and EWS,
for the Exchange-afflicted.

Can one still send "from" GMail via SMTP these days? How does the 2
-factor authentication work? Do we cope with that?

--
dwmw2