[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

josh at joshtriplett.org josh at joshtriplett.org
Fri Jul 10 21:07:50 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:03:43PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-07-10 at 13:56 -0700, josh at joshtriplett.org wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 09:00:12PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > > And then I can *read* them before sending them, which is good practice
> > > anyway. Am I the only person who often finds a final minor nit with
> > > their own patch, in that final read-through just before hitting 'send'
> > > on an email?
> >
> > Nope, I do that too.  (Though then I have to resist the temptation to
> > just fix it in the mailer rather than fixing the original and
> > regenerating.)
>
> Oh, I *always* just fix it in the mailer, even when the numbers in the
> hunk headers need to be fixed up :)

I've occasionally fixed up actual typos in the patch content, though
never changing the number of lines.  The danger there is what happens
when you need to prepare v(N+1).  If you're going to need to change it
in git anyway, you might as well go ahead and do so and regenerate the
series.

I just wish I had a more satisfactory method of associating a cover
letter with a series *in git*, such that format-patch could emit a
non-placeholder cover letter.

- Josh Triplett