[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Darren Hart dvhart at infradead.org
Fri Jul 10 22:49:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:35:59PM +0100, Roberto Tyley wrote:

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for chiming in.

> It would be great to turn on submitGit for development of the Linux
> Kernel. Just to clarify, submitGit is a bridge for sending GitHub pull
> requests on https://github.com/git/git to git at vger.kernel.org as
> correctly formatted emails

While there is value there and would help a lot of people, given the popularity
of git-hub, I think we're looking for something more generic.

I'd prefer a web-form hosted on kernel.org that could accept a raw patch, or a
git URL and tag or branch from any reposiory (github or otherwise), and submit
the patch after performing a number of validation checks before ever sending to
the list.

I understand this maybe isn't an extension of submitGit, but the concept of
submitGit is interesting from a precedence perspective.

> I've never submitted a patch to the kernel, but I understand there are
> many development trees and corresponding maintainers/mailing lists. It
> would be an interesting task to teach submitGit _where_ a patch should
> go - and we would need GitHub repos which mirrored the maintainer
> trees in order for people to open good pull requests against them (I'm
> assuming it would be wrong for people to just open pull requests
> against https://github.com/torvalds/linux/).
>
> This script looks interesting:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/scripts/get_maintainer.pl

Yes, this should be used to identify lists and maintainers who should be Cc'd.

> I'd be interested to hear if anyone would like to try out submitGit
> for the kernel, and has any further advice.
>
> Roberto

Thanks,

Darren

P.S. I don't know if your top posting was intentional (very clever) or
accidental (case in point), but either way it's dripping with irony. ;-)