[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Darren Hart dvhart at infradead.org
Sat Jul 11 00:00:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 03:23:51PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 09:07:14AM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 05:36:41PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > > Or you could just create a generic form letter like Greg does.
> > >

> > OK, so this is precisely the kind of individually developed special purpose
> > wizardry that I think hinders recruitment. Rather than having every maintainer
> > reinvent this wheel in a subtly different a personal way (which gets back to the
> > issues raised about subtly different expectations per maintainer), it makes a
> > lot of sense to me to create a common infrastructure that we can all use.
>
> Ok, feel free to use my "form letter" that I've created over the years
> and expand on it for more common problems if I've missed anything.  I
> just dump it into a response to the patch (3 keystrokes), and cut away
> anything that isn't relevant to this specific patch.  Seems to work
> pretty well in cutting down on me having to type the same thing all the
> time.

Do you have something that automates the scanning for basic errors and builds
and reports to you - or do you manually pull every patch out of your email
client and run those tests yourself to find that the patch-bot needs to be
deployed? That's the kind of thing that it seems like could be automated and
improve the quality level of patches that make it to the maintainers.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center