[Ksummit-discuss] checkpatch.pl stuff...

Heiko Carstens heiko.carstens at de.ibm.com
Sat Jul 11 11:34:47 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 12:31:26PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:44:09AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > Ug, don't emphasize checkpatch. I see people making patches uglier due
> > to it. I have an old version of checkpatch that I sometimes run, but
> > the new version, IMHO, has more noise than signal.
>
> I have seen people do some very ugly things to satisfy the 80 character
> limit.  Recently someone sent a patch to make a config description long
> enough for checkpatch and
> the they did it
> by adding by adding
> lots and lots of
> newlines like this.  :)

The 80 character limit warning is the only thing I really dislike about
checkpatch. I've seen so many patches with insane ;) line breaks just to
satisfy this rule.
Unfortunately even experienced developers think this is a hard limit.
Argueing that checkpatch just gives you a hint that something _could_ be
improved are most of the time pointless. "But checkpatch says... therefore
it has be to like that." ;)

Besides that it I think it works just fine.