[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sun Jul 12 10:23:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:43 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Can one still send "from" GMail via SMTP these days? How does the 2
>> -factor authentication work? Do we cope with that?
>
> You can, but it doesn't support 2FA.  You have to generate one of
> those "device" or "application" passwords and use that instead.
> Things might have changed since I last set it up, but that is what I
> had to do to use google SMTP via mutt.

Yes, works fine. I use that on my laptop (at home I have local SMTP).

Add to .gitconfig:

[sendemail]
        smtpencryption = tls
        smtpserver = smtp.gmail.com
        smtpuser = who-am-i at gmail.com
        smtppass = secret-app-password
        smtpserverport = 587

I'd actually encourage newcomers to use that, is it teaches them how to
set up device or app-specific passwords, too ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds