[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE-TOPIC] Documentation

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Mon Jul 13 18:11:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 17:42:44 +0000
Jason Cooper <jason at lakedaemon.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 12:37:50PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > I agree that newbies shouldn't write documentation.
>
> I semi-disagree.  Assuming you meant newbies here as you defined below.

This really shows what the issue with new recruits is all about. Every
maintainer is different. The Linux kernel is the largest and fastest
open source project in the world and its amazing how much that everyone
does agree on. But every maintainer has a slightly different
perspective of how to do something, and this can be really aggravating
to a new comer. As it's been said lots of times, maintaining the Linux
kernel is much like herding cats. And this burden also weighs down on
new comers, as they try to figure out which type of cat they are
dealing with. And all cats just happen to be extremely annoying to deal
with ;-)

The best we can do is all to try to be patient with those that contact
us.

-- Steve