[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Issues with stable process

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Tue Jul 14 02:28:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 21:02:26 -0400
Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:

> Yes, it's great if we can catch things in -next. But I don't believe
> that patches that fix bugs found in Linus's tree should sit in next
> before going into Linus's tree, because those patches are basically
> fixing stuff that was already in next and wasn't discovered until it
> hit Linus's tree. Which is why I say it's a waste of time to put it in
> next before sending straight to Linus.

That, of course, assumes that these fixes don't introduce *other* bugs
that might just be caught in -next...

In general, though, I think a lot of people see -next as -rc1 without the
quality control; it's volatile and scary.  So it's not surprising that it
doesn't get a lot of real-world testing.  And, as long as that's the case,
there's going to be a lot of bugs that are never caught in -next.

jon