[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE-TOPIC] Documentation

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Tue Jul 14 12:53:10 UTC 2015

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 09:43:42 -0300
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> > Doxygen may be worth a look.  I'm personally fond of Sphinx, though I
> > still haven't done a big project in it.
>
> I never used Sphinx. Doxygen seems better on my eyes, because people
> already sends us media drivers using Doxygen tags style. Also, as
> mentioned, kernel-doc style is a subset. Not to mention that, in the
> specific case of media,we're using Doxygen to document some libraries
> packaged inside v4l-utils (with is the userspace counterpart of the
> Kernel subsystem). So, at least for me, Doxygen would be easier to use.

Just for clarity: any new documentation solution that required
reformatting all existing doc comments is clearly not going anywhere; even
I am not dumb enough to try to push something like that through.

In any case, this is all in the "would be nice to look at seriously" stage
over here.  I have no real idea if something like Sphinx would be a useful
and practical improvement or not; I'm certainly not agitating for a change
in that direction now.

jon