[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Jul 14 15:16:18 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:08:03AM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 07:28:25PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > This happened hours ago in staging.  Someone sent a buggy patch and
> > reviewers spotted the bug but no one got credit.
> >
> > http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/driverdev-devel/2015-July/072662.html
> > http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/driverdev-devel/2015-July/072668.html
> >
> > Imagine how special Patrick would feel if we gave him a nice
> > "With-fix-from: Patrick Farrell <paf at cray.com>" tag.  :)  Also the other
> > rule would be that only the first person to report the bug gets the
> > credit (Sorry, Sudip).
> Doesn't matter. I am a volunteer and contributing here is not part of
> my dayjob. I do it because I like doing it.
> >The next version of the patch had a process
> > problem which Sudip noticed as well but that still doesn't earn a
> > with-fix-from tag.
> Then will the first reviewer always get the credit? Suppose a hypothetial
> situation where v1 is just having a bug like the one you mentioned,
> reviewer X points that out so he gets "With-fix-from:", but v2 has a more
> serious problem and results in build failure and reviewer Y points that out
> and v3 is the final patch that is accepted. So now who will get
> "With-fix-from:" ?

Or even more important, how in the world will the maintainer be adding
these tags in a simple manner?  It's a manual thing for me to do today,
which is a pain, and given that I have no "state" of previous patches
remembering what happened in previous versions, I don't know how I would
be expected to keep track of all of this.

So whatever scheme people come up with, please remember that it has to
be easy to actually implement...

thanks,

greg k-h