[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Thu Jul 16 15:50:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 09:41:25 -0600
Jonathan Corbet <corbet at lwn.net> wrote:

> Not sure what the real answer is, but something tells me that adding a
> new domain-specific language to MAINTAINERS isn't quite it :)

I agree. I believe it really comes down to the maintainers, when they
receive a patch, to express things NICELY to the new developer on any
changes they may need to make. And even say, that it's the maintainer's
preference and may not be something everyone else does.

It all comes down to the delivery of that notice. If you are nice and
polite, and say "thank you for your patch", it may not be such a burden
for the new developer. But if you come across as "Don't do it that way,
you need to do it this way", it may be a big time turn off.

-- Steve