[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Steven Rostedt rostedt at goodmis.org
Fri Jul 17 17:37:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:11:51 -0600
Jonathan Corbet <corbet at lwn.net> wrote:

> Over on linux-kernel, I just saw a newish developer being politely told
> that a patch was unacceptable because the local variable declarations
> were not in reverse-Christmas-tree order.  That's not in CodingStyle, and
> it's certainly not a universal rule in the kernel; it's just one of those
> things you have to know if you wander into certain scary neighborhoods.

As I know a few maintainers that like the "reverse-xmas-tree" order,
perhaps we could add that to CodingStyle in a section of:

--- Some Maintainer's prefer these styles ---

 These are some extra styles that maintainers prefer. Some are strict
 about these, others may not care. It doesn't hurt to add them.

Because things like reverse x-mas tree order isn't something people are
against doing. But some may not care if you do or don't. So listing
all the things that a few maintainers share, may be good.

Of course you hit a brick wall when there's two types of styles that
maintainers disagree on.

/*
 * What is the question?
 * To add a space at the top of a comment?
 */

/* Or not to add a space at the top of a comment?
 * That is the question!
 */

But really, when there's small things like indentation that is
submitted and I don't like, I don't even bother telling the author,
I'll just fix it myself and note in the change log "fixed up
whitespace".

-- Steve