[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at Hansenpartnership.com
Fri Jul 17 17:43:12 UTC 2015

On July 17, 2015 8:37:12 PM GMT+03:00, Steven Rostedt <rostedt at goodmis.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:11:51 -0600
>Jonathan Corbet <corbet at lwn.net> wrote:
>

>> Over on linux-kernel, I just saw a newish developer being politely
>told
>> that a patch was unacceptable because the local variable declarations
>> were not in reverse-Christmas-tree order.  That's not in CodingStyle,
>and
>> it's certainly not a universal rule in the kernel; it's just one of
>those
>> things you have to know if you wander into certain scary
>neighborhoods.
>
>As I know a few maintainers that like the "reverse-xmas-tree" order,
>perhaps we could add that to CodingStyle in a section of:
>
>--- Some Maintainer's prefer these styles ---
>
> These are some extra styles that maintainers prefer. Some are strict
> about these, others may not care. It doesn't hurt to add them.
>

>Because things like reverse x-mas tree order isn't something people are
>against doing. But some may not care if you do or don't. So listing
>all the things that a few maintainers share, may be good.
>
>Of course you hit a brick wall when there's two types of styles that
>maintainers disagree on.
>

>/*
> * What is the question?
> * To add a space at the top of a comment?
> */
>
>/* Or not to add a space at the top of a comment?
> * That is the question!
> */
>

>But really, when there's small things like indentation that is
>submitted and I don't like, I don't even bother telling the author,
>I'll just fix it myself and note in the change log "fixed up
>whitespace".

If you do that, and I get 500 coccinelle generated patches for SCSI switching the includes to reverse Christmas tree one file at a time, I'm afraid I'll have to shoot you.

James