[Ksummit-discuss] [CORE TOPIC] Recruitment (Reviewers, Testers, Maintainers, Hobbyists)

Rafael J. Wysocki rjw at rjwysocki.net
Mon Jul 20 22:35:08 UTC 2015

On Monday, July 20, 2015 10:58:07 AM James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-07-20 at 01:48 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:

> > > I think that's the wrong attitude in so many ways.  Good teachers don't
> > > accept crap.
> >
> > We don't seem to be talking about the same kind of patches, then.  If
> > someone sends in incorrect patches, by all means reject those patches.
> > But a patch that improves code, even a very minor improvement, should
> > always be welcome.
>
> "Improvement" is probably the issue.  Improvement to me means
>
>      1. Adds a new user visible feature that will have consumers
>      2. makes a user visible change that adds value (ideally a bug fix,
>         but I think adding extra debug or other interfaces can count
>         here)
>      3. materially improves the maintainability of the code.
>
> The third one seems to be where there's most disagreement.  Usually the
> guideline I use for this is that for older files is just don't touch.
> If someone really wants to improve the file then they get to maintain it
> as well (we've had some success with this) otherwise generally such
> patches aren't welcome.

Agreed.

> > (This doesn't mean that mechanically fixing compiler warnings, for
> > instance, is always an improvement.  For instance, shutting up the
> > compiler rather than actually fixing the warning is not a good idea.
> > But when the patch actually fixes something, even something minor, it's
> > worth accepting.)
>
> I don't agree that all improvements, however minor are worthwhile.
> There's a cost to reviewing and merging ... that should be outweighed by
> the value of the contribution.

Right.  Plus a change making an old file generate less checkpatch.pl warnings
may actually *not* be an improvement (even if it doesn't break things actively).

There is code in the kernel that was written with a coding style quite different
from the one regarded as a "standard" today and there's nothing wrong with that
in principle.

Thanks,
Rafael