[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] System-wide interface to specify the level of PM tuning

josh at joshtriplett.org josh at joshtriplett.org
Wed Jul 22 18:25:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 07:25:40PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 22, 2015 09:18:34 AM Daniel Vetter wrote:

> > > And there are quite a few subsystems having similar issues here and there.
> > >
> > > People who aren't aware of those command line/Kconfig/sysfs switches will
> > > never enable those features even though they may work well on their
> > > machines and may actually be necessary to save energy.
> >
> > In my experience there's way too many people around who know about
> > these knobs but have no idea that they might be somewhat dangerous.
> > And then I get another bug report about a known bug just because
> > someone read a blog somewhere. Nowadays almost all i915 tuning knobs
> > are marked as _unsafe and taint your kernel if you touch them.

> > > So among other things this topic is about a mechanism to possibly enable
> > > multiple things like that in one go instead of having to switch multiple
> > > knobs in various places (and needing to know about them in the first
> > > place).
> >
> > I know, but at least for i915 I don't want it: When we know it's safe
> > to do we already enable all the power/performance tuning we have, and
> > if we know it's unsafe we don't want users to enable it themselves. If
> > you have a very specific product (which is not a generic distro or
> > anything) and have done careful testing and cross-checked with
> > developers then you can of course just enable these features. But then
> > you also don't need a new option, you can just change the driver
> > defaults directly.
>
> OK
>
> So perhaps the question should be whether or not there is any viable approach
> we can use to avoid or at least reduce the amount of all of the mostly manual
> tuning to get as much battery life from systems as they can provide.  And that
> cannot involve user space realistically, because some variants of it may just
> not do whatever we expect them to do.

Tunables like those in i915 aren't going to be able to use any better
approach, specifically because they don't work everywhere; if we had a
list of systems they were safe on, we'd set up a quirk list and turn
them on by default.  Do we have any tunables that *aren't* in that
category?  And if so, why don't we just set their defaults to DTRT?

- Josh Triplett